Friday, April 27, 2012

Kholamba (Konkani Sambar) Masala

Kholamba - well the easiest way to describe it is 'konkani sambar'. Its a staple in konkani households and I remember the first time I had it at my Atya's place long time ago when I was about 10 years old. I am sure I had tasted it earlier too - but, somehow I remember the first taste of Kholamba at her place in Karwar, Karnataka.
Ever since I have been a fan of this dish. Mom makes amazing Kholamba too along with all the other yummy food. She gifted me the Konkani Saraswat cook book called 'Rasachandrika' - and boy, what an amazing book it is!
I made this masala following the recipe in the book. I still remember the aroma in the entire house when I was preparing this masala. its aromatic and fun to make!


Ingredients

500 grams coriander seeds
250  grams  red chillis (I used Byadgi Mirchi)
20  grams  turmeric powder
40  grams  udad dal (black gram dal)
40  grams  chana dal (Bengal gram dal)
20  grams black pepper corns
40  grams  fenugreek seeds
20  grams asafoetida
50  grams  mustard seeds
50  grams  cumin seeds
2 hand-fulls curry leaves
2 tablespoons oil

Method

Pour a tablespoon oil in a karahi and add the mustard seeds and fry for 2 to 3 minutes and hear them splutter. Be careful to so this on medium heat and do not burn. Then add the cumin and fry for another 2 minutes. Remove and let it sit in a plate. Now add the other tablespoon oil and add the udad dal and chana dal and fry till they turn a nice golden color. Remove in the same place as mustard and cumin.
Now in the same karahi - dry roast the other ingredients one by one separately till a nice golden color - except for the turmeric.
Blend the masala in a mixture to a fine powder and store in an airtight container.

I generally keep all my masalas in the freezer for a longer life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have to move closer to you for tasting such masala if you are making them at home from scratch.
Love Ash.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...