Thursday, October 25, 2012

Bhaji Masala

I like to cook bhaji's (dry vegetables) with the minimum of masalas - however, still keeping intact the Indian aromas and taste. My Mom had given me a bhaji masala few years ago when I was moving to the US - we used to cook beans and tindora and even plain potatoes in this masala and loved the aroma in the whole house. 
Well - I had to make this masala on my own as my stock got over. So, I remembered what my mom had used and made this. I am happy to say that this tastes just like my Mom's masala powder.


Ingredients

1 cup whole coriander seeds
1/4 cup mustard seeds
1/4 cup cumin seeds
1/2 cup split urad dal (black lentils)
1/2 cup split chana dal (bengal gram)
1/8 cup fenugreek seeds
4 tablespoons asafoetida (hing)
4 tablespoon turmeric powder
15 nos byadgi mirchi/chilli (dried)
15 nos kashmiri mirchi/chilli (dried)
2 tablespoons oil

Method

In a karahi dry roast the corinader seeds and remove them into a plate. Now dry roast the cumin and the fenugreek separately and remove them into a plate. Now add the dried chillies and dry roast them and remove them into the same plate which has the coriander seeds. In the same karahi, add the oil, when it gets hot add the bengal gram and roast it till it gets nice and golden, remove it into the same plate as all the other ingredients. Now add the urad dal to the same oil and fry till it gets a nice golden color, remove it into the same plate as all the other ingredients. Now add the mustard seeds to the remaining oil and let it splutter. Remove the mustard and the oil into the same plate as all other ingredients. Let it all stand together and cool. Now add the asafoetida and the turmeric powder to this mixture and grind it to a fine powder.
Mix the powder very well and let it get cold at room temperature. Store it in an airtight container and keep it in the freezer door. This stays for over a year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...