Friday, May 2, 2008

Dabeli

Last month I had Dabeli twice - Once at a potluck party and the other time at a send off party. Well, as they they if things happen 2 times, it is bound to happen the third time. Well, I thought - why not make the third time in my kitchen itself.

Ingredients
8 bombay pavs
4 medium potatoes
1 medium onion - chopped
1/4 cup chopped coriander
mint chutney
sweet tamarind chutney
butter
masala peanuts
pomegranate (I substituted that with chopped black grapes)
dabeli masala
salt to taste

Method

Boil and peel the potatoes. mash them well. To this add 5 to 7 heaped teaspoons of dabeli masala and the chopped coriander and very little salt and mix well. make eight equal portions of this mixture.
Now to arrange these dabelis - Cut the bombay pav in half. Spread butter on each side and then spread the chutneys - mint chutney on one side and tamarind chutney on the other side. Place the mashed potato mixture on one side of the pav - to this add some chopped onion, masala peanuts, pomegranate/grapes. Now place the other side of the pav on top of this. On a hot tava (medium heat), place the made dabeli and let it just get hot on both the surfaces.
serve hot.

7 comments:

Arundathi said...

looks delicious - love dabeli!

Vani said...

I love dabeli! Did not know it was so simple to make! I'm getting dabeli masala

ServesYouRight said...

Dabeli is the BEST! I bought some dabeli masala - it was pretty powerful stuff!!

priyah said...

ohh ...this reminds me of my college days...yumm and the pic looks beautiful!!!!

notyet100 said...

where to buy dabeli masala,,wht does it mean,..

Samta said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments.

Very true Priyah - it takes you back to college years.

Dabeli masala is something that you get at any Indian stores. Its in the same aisle as sandwich masala and the other masalas. I had got mine from Patel Food Market in Edison, NJ

Sangeeta said...

Boy oh boy... it's been ages since I've eaten Dabelis. LOL Oh I miss eating on the street corner near the gutters LMAO. Thanks for the recipe. gotta try it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...