Friday, January 13, 2017

Saagwala Chicken (Chicken in Spinach Gravy) in InstantPot

Writing here after a very very long time. Its not like I don't want to cook or I do not wish to write. I somehow do not get that undisturbed time to sit and write a blogpost. Towards the end of the day, all I want to do is snuggle in the cozy blanket and just snooze away. I guess, that's what the cold winters do to you............. they make you lazy and also 'fat'.
My InstantPot had been doing a good job in my kitchen. I do not use it everyday. Well, there are a few things that I like to cook on the good old stove or sometimes its just the oven or the airfryer that is made use of. But, I can say that all these appliances are used pretty regularly in 'mera kitchen'
Today was a very crazy day. Lil Miss A had a holiday at school and so we woke up a bit late and then it was fun and games till I got a message from a friend about going out to lunch. Mr. A was working from home and he needs his lunch too. I had to leave home in 45 minutes and had to get ready and get the bub ready too and had to make lunch arrangements for the hubster. The InstantPot came to my rescue. There was spinach, tomatoes, chicken and spices....... and that how this curry came about. 


Ingredients

2 pounds chicken - I used boneless skinless chicken thighs and breasts - cut into bite size pieces
4 medium tomatoes
10 garlic cloves
1/2 inch ginger piece
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 green cardamoms
1 black cardamom
3 cloves
1/2 inch cinnamon
2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 big onion or 2 medium ones - thinly sliced
5 cups spinach - I used baby spinach
2 tablespoons oil
salt to taste


Method

Grind the tomatoes, garlic, fennel, cumin, cardamom, black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, chilli powder, ginger, turmeric and black pepper to a fine paste, You do not need to add water as the tomatoes help with their liquid. Make a puree of the spinach. Add a little water just to aid the puree process.
Put the InstantPot in saute mode. Add the oil. Once it heats up, add the sliced onions and a little salt. Fry the onions till they turn a golden color. Now add the ground paste and mix well. Keep stirring occasionally untill the oil starts to leave the sides. Add the chicken pieces and the spinach puree and mix well. Add 1/2 cup water. Cancel saute function. Cover the lid of the InstantPot with the vent on sealing. Manual for 10 minutes on high pressure. Let the InstantPot do its magic. Let the pressure release naturally.
Open the lid and check if the chicken is cooked. Mine was done well. If not, just put it on saute mode for another 5 minutes.
Serve with steamed rice, chapatis or naan


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...